Lip Flip Vs Lip Filler – Options for Lip Enhancement
Your lips and all other areas of your face lose volume and fullness as you age. This inevitable effect can cause your lips to develop fine lines around your mouth and lose some of their definition and plumpness. Whether thinning or asymmetry of your lips is age-related or present at birth, there are non-surgical options that you can consider to plump up your pout and bring balance to your lips. The two most popular treatments that can address volume loss in your lips are lip flips and lip fillers.
What the difference between a Lip Flip Vs Lip Filler?
First of all, it is important to know the difference between lip flips and lip fillers.
Lip flips, also known as anti-wrinkle injections, are used to improve the appearance of your lips by relaxing and softening the pink/white border of your lips. It makes use of a substance that inhibits the transmission of signals going to the muscle, thus, preventing muscle contraction and promoting relaxation. Once the top muscle of your lips became relaxed, it causes your top lip to flip outward, thus, creating the illusion that your lips are fuller, voluminous, and more defined. The relaxation of the lip muscle can also reduce the appearance of vertical lines around your lips, giving you a more refreshed appearance.
Lip fillers refer to the product that is injected into your lips to create a fuller and plumper appearance. They improve the appearance of your lips by adding shape, volume, and structure. There are several types of fillers that can be used. Most of these fillers are made from a natural substance in your body responsible for the lubrication of tissues. The results of lip filler injections can be seen immediately and continue to improve over time.
Benefits of Lip Enhancements
Undergoing lip flips and lip fillers can give you the following benefits:
- Control over the volume of your lips: Dr. Turner can control the amount of substance that will be injected into your lips, resulting in greater accuracy and better results.
- Gradual pace of lip injections: The treatments can be administered gradually during different appointments until your desired clinical outcome is achieved.
- Lumps and bumps dissolve easily: If you develop lumps and bumps after the procedure, they can dissolve easily through the aid of massage.
- Little to no downtime: These procedures are non-surgical and you can immediately go back to work and daily routine afterward.
- Low risk of complications: Lip fillers make use of a naturally-occurring substance in your body to increase the fullness and volume of your lips.
- Long-lasting results: Depending on your lip condition and how you take care of your new lips after the procedure, the results can last up to 6 months.
Are you an Ideal Candidate for Lip Enhancement?
You are an ideal candidate for lip flips and lip fillers if:
- You have a positive outlook and realistic expectations regarding the procedure.
- You are willing to maintain good skin health.
- You are in good overall physical and mental health.
- You have lines and creases around your mouth.
- You have lips that have lost volume due to ageing.
- You have low self-esteem due to the appearance of your lips.
- You have asymmetrical lips.
Risks and Complications of Lip Enhancement
Undergoing lip flips and lip fillers can lead to the following:
- Acne-like skin eruptions
- Blockage of blood vessels in the face
- Death of skin tissue
- Drooping of the eyelids (very rare)
- Facial pain
- Movement of filler away from the target area
- Muscle weakness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Severe bruising and swelling
- Skin rash with itching
- The filler can be felt under the skin surface
- Unfavourable scarring
- Vision changes
Results of Lip Enhancement – Lip Flip Vs Lip Filler
In general, the effects of a lip flip can last for 2 months. On the other hand, the effects of lip filler injections can last up to 6 months. The results of lip filler injections can be seen immediately and will continue to improve over time.
There are several factors that can affect the duration of the effects of these treatments such as your lip condition and how you care for your lips after lip enhancement.
Lip Enhancement – Lip Flip Vs Lip Filler FAQs
What’s better lip flip or fillers?
If you want to achieve lips with more volume overall, you should undergo lip filler injections. However, if you want to keep the original volume of your lips and prefer adding slight projection in a more subtle way, then you should undergo a lip flip. For more dramatic results, lip flips and lip fillers can be combined.
What is the difference between lip flips and lip fillers?
Lip flips improve the appearance of your lips by relaxing and softening the pink/white border of your lips. They work by making use of a substance that inhibits the transmission of signals going to the muscle in the lip area, thus, preventing contraction and promoting relaxation. This effect causes your top lip to flip outward, thus, creating the illusion that your lip is fuller, voluminous, and more defined.
On the other hand, lip fillers are injected into your lips to add shape, volume, and structure. This in turn reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around your lips, giving you a refreshed look. By using a naturally occurring substance in your body, lip fillers add more moisture to your lips which gives them a healthier appearance.
Can I get a lip flip with filler?
Yes. A lip flip can be combined with lip filler injections to create a more dramatic result.
How long does a lip flip is performed?
A standard lip flip can take 10 to 30 minutes to complete.
Can the effects of lip filler injections be reversed?
If for any reason you developed complications or did not like the results of your lip filler injections, Dr Turner will inject a special type of enzyme into your lips.
Are lip fillers permanent?
No. You may need to undergo the treatment every 6 months to maintain the results.
Which lasts longer, lip flips or lip fillers?
The effects of lip flips can last for 2 months while the effects of lip fillers can last up to 6 months. When combined, they can give you younger-looking lips with improved volume and fullness.
How much do lip flips and lip fillers cost?
With regards to the cost, lip flips are usually cheaper than lip fillers. It is important to keep in mind that the total cost associated with these treatments is determined by the practitioner’s credentials, the number of vials needed, your lip condition, and your desired results.
Do lip flips and lip fillers hurt?
During the procedure, you will experience a stinging sensation at the injection site, which passes quickly. For your comfort, a numbing cream can be used during the injection.
Is there a recovery time after lip flips and lip fillers?
No. You can immediately resume work and other daily activities after the procedure. However, you will need to avoid activities that can put pressure on your lips such as contact sports. Over the following weeks, you should expect a significant improvement in the volume and fullness of your lips.
What are the advantages of lip fillers over lip flips?
Some specific reasons why lip fillers have an edge over lip flips are:
- The effects of lip fillers are long-lasting: The results of lip fillers can last up to 6 months while only 2 months for lip flips.
- The effects of lip fillers can be reversed: Dr. Turner will inject a special type of enzyme into your lips to break down the filler in case of complications or undesirable clinical outcomes.
- It creates no illusion: Lip fillers actually make your lips fuller and plumper while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles around your mouth.
- It has a lower risk of an allergic reaction: Lip fillers are made from a naturally occurring substance in your body so it is safe.
- It allows control of the increase in your lip volume: Dr. Turner can control how much lip filler can be injected to meet your desired results.
When should I get lip flips?
The procedure is right for you if:
- You want fuller and voluminous lips without fillers.
- You feel like your upper lip disappears when you smile.
- You are looking for a less expensive alternative to lip fillers.
What are the disadvantages of lip flips?
Unlike lip fillers, lip flips:
- Does not last long: The results of lip flips can only last for 2 months because the lips are heavily used for speaking, eating, and making facial expressions.
- Have a delay in results: You should expect that the final results of lip flips can be observed after 1 week.
- May interfere in the way you speak: In some cases, the procedure can affect your lip structure by causing excessive salivation and prolonged swelling.
How should I prepare for lip flips and lip fillers?
These procedures do not require any special preparation. However, it is important that you should inform Dr Turner if you have an active infection, such as cold sores, and if you are taking any medications or supplements. This allows Dr Turner to evaluate your condition and determine if you are a good candidate for lip flips and lip fillers.
Can I sleep on my side after lip flips and lip fillers?
No. Sleeping on your side or on your chest can put pressure on your lips. As a result, the anti-wrinkle substance or filler can move away from the target area. This can cause lip asymmetry, lumps, and other undesirable results. To prevent complications, it is recommended to sleep on your back with your head elevated using 2 to 3 pillows.
Which is expensive lip flips or lip fillers?
Lip fillers are more expensive than lip flips.
When should lip flips and lip fillers be combined?
A combo procedure is also known as lip augmentation with filler. This can be performed if:
- You have a disappearing upper lip.
- You are looking for the most control over your results.
- You want longer-lasting results.
- You prefer dramatic results.
Can lip flips get rid of a gummy smile?
Yes. The procedure gets rid of a gummy smile by relaxing the lip muscle, which in turn causes the top lip to flip outward. This creates the illusion that your lips are fuller, voluminous, and more defined.
Are lip flips worth it?
Yes. The procedure is the best choice if you prefer to improve the appearance of your thin lips and want to remove a gummy smile. The best thing about it is that the results are not permanent and you can get the normal shape of your lips after two to three months.
Are lip fillers worth it?
Yes. The procedure can give you plumper and fuller lips with a lower risk of complications and with long-lasting results.
What if I don’t like the results of my lip filler injections?
The best thing about lip fillers is that a special type of enzyme can be injected into your lips to break down the filler in case of complications or undesirable clinical outcomes. Within a few days, your lips will return to their original appearance. If you don’t want to receive enzyme injection to dissolve your lip fillers, you can simply wait for 6 to 12 months for your fillers to naturally dissolve.
How many injections will I need to flip my lip?
In general, you may need 4-6 units to achieve your desired results. This is completed within 10-20 minutes.
Does a lip flip procedure work immediately?
Unlike lip fillers which produce immediate results, the results of lip flips may appear after 10-14 days. It is important to keep in mind that the results may vary and will greatly depend on your lip condition and desired clinical outcome.
How much lip fillers are needed to achieve my desired results?
In general, an amount of 1 ml is just enough to create a very subtle result.
Meet our Skin Atelier Nurses & Injecting team
Nurse Emily – Injecting Nurse – Newcastle NSW
Nurse Janelle – Injecting Nurse – Dee Why – Sydney NSW
Nurse Stephanie – Injecting Nurse – Newcastle NSW
Start with a skin or injectables facial consultation and start on your rejuvenation or anti-aging plan. – Book today!